Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Server Platform Readiness

 

This blog is part of Series : Comprehensive SharePoint 2013 Development Environment Installation and Configuration

Overview

In order to install all the servers and toolset listed under the Work plan (under the main article), first I had repurposed a previously build VM Rig. Find out more on this rig build out here : Coming soon….

Virtualization selection:

  • Hyper-V
    • Previously I had tried Hyper-v with Windows 2008 version, but found the networking was more complex for my networking knowledge.
  • VMWare Free Server
    • This is lighter version of the bare metal hypervisor ESX.
    • Gave couple of retries for the VMWare Server Free version, but looks like this product is going out of support and no more updates.
    • I also had trouble with the VMWare ESX Server had trouble identifying my RAID, for lack of driver support.
    • In the end I had abandoned this approach as well.
  • VMWare Workstation
    • Easy to use and much better and simpler networking support.
    • Much faster than Hyper-V.
    • Since already had personal license, finally I went with VMWare Workstation.

VM Host Server Readiness

  • The VM Host was installed with Windows 7
  • VMWare Workstation (Whatever latest is)
  • Prepared baseline Windows 2008 and Windows 2012 Server with Sysprep

VM Instances

  • Instantiated following VM instances based on the Linked Clones on my VMWare Workstations.
  • Renamed each server as below names for simplicity.
  • I did not join each of these servers to the domain yet.
  • Follow nest steps on network configuration in the next blog post and then joined to the domain.
  1. SP2013WFE
  2. SP2013APP1
  3. SP2013APP2
  4. OWA2013
  5. Exchange2013
  6. UAG2010 (Optional)

At this stage each of the above server instances are ready with name but not joined to the domain. Have logged in to each server as local administrators to follow the next step.

3 comments:

vmichael_de said...

I recently attempted to create a Sharepoint 2013 stand alone enviroment using a single Windows Server 2012 as the domain Controller with Sql server 2012 running on the same box. Sharepoint 2013 installed and seemed to work properly until i tried to instantiate a user profile service. I could not get it to start. Therefore, I am now attempting to re-create your set up here.

My question is do i need to create a subnet using an additional router on my home network if I am going to use my domain controller as a DNS?

vmichael_de said...

I recently attempted to create a Sharepoint 2013 stand alone enviroment using a single Windows Server 2012 as the domain Controller with Sql server 2012 running on the same box. Sharepoint 2013 installed and seemed to work properly until i tried to instantiate a user profile service. I could not get it to start. Therefore, I am now attempting to re-create your set up here.

My question is do i need to create a subnet using an additional router on my home network if I am going to use my domain controller as a DNS?

Rajesh Agadi said...

Michael,

You don't need to create any Subnet in your network.

If you see my other blog on http://rajeshagadi.blogspot.com/2013/07/vmware-workstation-network-configuration.html

Where the key point is that your SharePoint farm servers will point to your DNS Server as the primary DNS server address in the NIC card configuration.

I am not sure whether you are trying to create your setup with multiple servers with a some sort of virtualization software or not.

Look at my other blog in this series http://rajeshagadi.blogspot.com/2013/07/create-user-profile-service-application.html

where I discuss about what it takes to start the User Profile Services.

Hope this helps.
Rajesh